Friday, April 22, 2011

When Your 10% Isn't Good Enough

While having a discussion at my uncle's repass, I learned that Friendly Temple Church requires you to provide them with your W-2 when you become a member of the church.  After hearing this someone yelled "Erica close your mouth" because my jaw was on the floor! So I have to provide you with my W-2 so that you can be aware of my earnings, and therefore know how much I'm supposed to be tithing?  So if I'm only able to tithe 5% this month, do I get kicked out of the church? Am I the only one that has a problem with this? I am very obedient when it comes to tithing, and eventhough I'm not able to attend church regularly because of my job, I still send my tithes to the church.  It is so easy for us to spend $100 on a pair of shoes, but then we shortchange the collection plate when it comes around.

Keep in mind, my aunt has been a member for 5 years and tithes on a regular basis as well.  She informed her pastor of my uncles passing, and I found it to be funny that Friendly Temple did not send any auxilary from the church and no one expressed their condolesences until 5 minutes before the funeral started, via over the phone. Something tells me that if my aunt's W-2 represented the earnings of an upper class individual and not that of a middle class individual, there would have been representation at the funeral home.  I feel that this church is not only requesting W-2s of their members to see how much everyone should tithe, but to also diffrentiate the "big spenders" from the "common folk".  That is disgusting to me! This is why I choose to avoid megachurches, because I want to be seen as more than just my social security #.  I love the fact that my pastor knows me and my daughter by name, and she is ready and available for her members, not just sending auxilary, but SHE shows up and shows out!

If you attend Friendly Temple, please don't be offended, I am merely stating my opinion about the tithing process in comparison to what the Bible states.  And I didn't see where it said that financial documents had to be provided to the church.  One thing should be noted is that the pastor of the church does seem to use the money towards building the surrounding community, and I have a tremendous respect for that.  Whether you are a tither or a tipper, I feel that you have to be very tactful in your approach when you are educating your congregation about the importance of tithing, and asking for a W-2 just seems tacky to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment